Thursday 17 November 2011

Onwards to the coast

I started the day with a visit to the city muesum, again excellently done with the remains of the Roman city in the basement and later displays on the floor above, all helped by a free audio guide apparenly voiced by an 18th century Duke and a woman from the 1960s. From there I visited the Roman city walls then tried burek for lunch, which is best described as an inside out pizza made of puff pastry.
Roman road in the cellar


Random painting of a city in snow

The museum courtyard

I think this was a monastery or something

Roman walls



The train for Rijeka left at 3.10 and before long we were out into the most stunning scenery. In the valleys houses with the shape of an alpine chalet and the decoration of a Prague street and the hills were covered in trees. Above a certain height these were all frosted making it look like a Christmas card. Even the sunset was good but you'll have to take my word for it as photos didn't work through the train window. Overall I think I could spend more time in Slovenia but for now ' onwards.


There was another border to get through, I'd actually forgot that Croatia is also outside the EU but it was certainly easier in daylight.

Rijeka was noticeably warmer and the streets and cafes filled with people. It certainly feels like I'm out of central Europe and into the Mediterranean world.

No comments:

Post a Comment